Saturday, February 12, 2011

Anchor - Old Foghorn

I think I just started feeling normal after a great night out last night.  My brother and I, along with my wife and his girlfriend had some delicious dinner at their place.  Afterwards we went out to go watch one of my wifes students play in their band at a local coffee shop.  Very talented kids and lots of fun to watch.  Afterwards we went out to a bar right next to my brothers place and had a few drinks and watched another band.  They were great.  They played a ton of current hits and it was a blast to watch them.  My drunk ass eventually got up to dance which could have probably been compared to a drunk monkey convulsing on the floor.  I was having fun.

Tonight I'm drinking Anchor Old Foghorn.  Its one of the recommended brews for the American barley wine style so I'm excited to give it a taste.  The aroma is very rich and malty with some caramel showing up in the mix.  The color is a deep amber and brilliantly clear.  A very small lace of foam clings to the side of the glass.  The first sip is silky smooth and a little slick.  Low carbonation really allows the flavors to shine through.  Sweet caramel, dark fruits and an alcohol warmth makes a presence in the finish.

Overall 5.0/6.0 - Nothing really stood out for me with this beer.  Its well crafted, easy to drink and a good representation of the style.  Id definitely drink it again but I wasn't completely blown away by it.  If you are in the mood for a good barley wine go ahead and pick this one up.

No comments:

Post a Comment