Sunday, February 13, 2011

Founders - Backwoods Bastard

Tonight I'm drinking Founders Backwoods Bastard.  I have had Founders beers in the past and have been satisfied with their product.  Their beers tend to embody the American craft beer movement.  Most are big, bold and unique, with todays brew being no exception.  Its a 10.6% ABV scotch ale and aged in oak bourbon barrels.  I generally like beers aged in oak.  The best examples I have previously found have all been stouts so this one should be a good change of pace.

After letting this warm up a bit the bourbon really wafts out of my glass.  A little smoke and vanilla add some complexity to the prominent bourbon smell.  The flavor is really nice and plays right into the aroma.  Bourbon, smoke, caramel, and dark fruit come together and finishes dry with an alcohol warmth at the end.  The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy.  The carbonation level is perfect... just enough there to accentuate the creaminess.

Overall 5.2/6.0 - I really liked this.  The bourbon is definitely prominent and the star player in this brew.  If you dont like bourbon this is not your kind of beer.  However, as a beer lover that also enjoys bourbon on occasion this is definitely a nice play on the strong scotch ale style.  The flavors blend together nicely.  It doesnt taste like somebody just dropped a shot of bourbon in this beer.  I think this comes in a four pack although Im not sure since this was another single bottle purchase.  Four pack or six pack aside, I wish I had more than just one on hand.  Pick it up and give it a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment