Thursday, April 28, 2011

Flying Dog - Horn Dog Barley Wine

Good evening fellow beer lovers!  As you can tell from the title, tonights brew isnt exactly what you would define as a Spring time beer.  In fact, its quite the opposite I would say.  But I feel as though I can get away with it considering the weather in MN the last few days has consisted of snow, sleet, rain and temperatures within the 30s.  At least this evening on my way home from work the sun came out and yielded a blue sky which I had forgotten even existed.  So I guess thats a start.

Tonights review is from Flying Dog Brewing's Canis Major series.  The bottle cap, as pictured below, makes mention of the series name along with a depiction of the constellation Canis Major.  Tying your specialty beer line up to a constellation is probably one of the last things I would have thought of doing.  But I guess thats why I didnt go into marketing and advertisement as my college major.  In standard Flying Dog fashion the front label is of a rabid looking dog with a menacing unicorn horn bulging from his frontal lobe.  Its something you would most likely see in a horrible nightmare.  They also included an over-the-top description on the side of the bottle which reads "Horn Dog is a big, malty monster of a brew.  Fortunately, its wrath is moderately hopped and tastes like licorice and chocolate.  Horn is such a robust beast that we have to keep it caged and contained at the brewery for a couple months before letting it integrate with the public".

My pint fills with a dark amber, almost brown colored yet extremely clear brew.  A nice light tan foam lingers around and consolidates into smaller slugs after sitting for a bit.  Strong caramelized malt and slightly hoppy aroma combines with a hint of alcohol.  Its on the right path for a barley wine so far.  Bold, malty, viscous and alcohol are my first four impressions in that order.  After further tastings I start to discern the subtle licorice and chocolate notes mentioned within the bottles description.  A muted hop profile is present only during the finish as a bittering aspect to dry out this robust brew.  Alcohol also helps to dry out the surprisingly non-cloyingly sweet finish.  Minimal carbonation and a smooth mouthfeel throughout.

Overall - I'd drink this one again.  Its not right up my alley as far as an American Barely Wine is concerned, but it is an easy drinker.  This style is a competitive space within the states with most craft breweries producing their take on a barley wine.  So when I drink a barley wine, I tend to set some high standards because the remaining choices in the market allow me to do so.  This isn't my favorite, but its not a bad one either.  Pick some up next winter and see what you think for yourself.  If you like your barley wines, its probably safe to say you would enjoy this four pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment