Friday, May 20, 2011

Sprecher - Double IPA

Tonights review is another from Sprecher's Premium Reserve line-up.  Their IPA2, or Double Indian Pale Ale, is one of five in a special offering of beers from this Wisconsin based brewery. Sprecher claims this imperial IPA focuses more on the hop and malt balance as opposed to the standard 'West coast' style imperial IPA's that focus primarily on hop explosions and lupulin torpedoes to the tongue.  Judging from the color and viscosity of the liquid I just dumped into my pint glass I can already tell they are going in a different direction then our hop-loving friends from the West.

Sprecher IPA2 certainly fits the bill as a malt forward imperial IPA.  The color is a cloudy orange while boasting a plume of off-white foam.  Peering closer into my pint I find tiny clumps of yeast hovering throughout.  A little unexpected, but not a deal breaker.  Aroma-wise, it is unmistakably a malty IPA.  Lots of bready citrus, lemon zest, a little caramel and an off flavored tang.  Not very pleasant unfortunately.  Diving deeper into the flavor profile I find heavy melanoidin and bready characteristics intertwined with an abrupt bitterness and unsatisfying carbonation level.  This brew finishes a little sweet for my liking and does little to lure me back for a second helping.

Overall - As I've said before, IPA's and Imperial IPA's are a tough category to compete in.  You either really nail down a great recipe and brew process or make a deviation of the style that is intriguing enough to bring the drinker back.  Unfortunately, at least for me, Sprecher's IPA2 fails to meet both criteria.  While its not an entirely bad brew, I wont be going out of my way to find this imperial IPA again.

No comments:

Post a Comment