Saturday, April 16, 2011

Brooklyn - Local 1

Tonights review is of a brew from yet another new brewery distributing to the Midwest.  However, this brewery is from the East!  New York to be precise.  Brooklyn Brewery has a long history behind their name.  In fact, you can read all about it in their book, Beer School: Bottling Success at the Brooklyn Brewery.  In short, the brewery was incepted in 1987 by a news correspondent and a banker.  Two years later, they were distributing their first brew, Brooklyn Lager.  Today, their lager is one of the top selling beers in New York and one of the top 40 breweries in the country.  I'm excited to be tasting their beer for the first time.  Of the brief research I've done so far, Brooklyn Brewery is a very reputable maker of fine craft beer.

The brew I was able to get my hands on is their Local 1.  I wasn't sure what to expect as the bottle only hints at the fact this is a Belgian inspired beer.  But hey, I'm a fan of Belgians (the beers, not the people, although Ive never met a Belgian person so Ill reserve judgement until then.  I'm sure they are nice and smell pretty) so I didn't feel like I was going out on a limb purchasing this fine looking bottle.  Digging around on the breweries website tells me this is a Belgian inspired Golden Strong Ale.

After letting the intense amount of foam settle I was able to discern the clear signs of a golden strong.  Pale straw in color, frothy white foam and an intense sweet malt and floral yeast.  From the looks, this is already a great example.  The flavor doesn't fall short either.  Sweet malt and fruity, almost tropical flavors from the yeast are abundant.  Hints of pineapple and mango mix in with a grainy, malty body.  An alcohol warmth comes through towards the end.  The finish is smooth and dry.

Overall A/6.0 - This is a great example of what a Belgian Golden Strong can be.  Brooklyn brewery went to great lengths to craft this treat.  Bottle conditioned with an extra spritz of yeast, thick bottle and sturdy cork are all signs of attention to detail.  The beer itself is great.  Brooklyn also releases a Local 2 which is a Belgian Strong Dark.  I'll be picking up another bottle of Local 1, along with Local 2 next time I'm out on the beer prowl.  

No comments:

Post a Comment