Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Rogue - Santa's Private Reserve Ale

Tonight I'm drinking another winter seasonal from a mighty brewery out on the West coast.  Rogue has been brewing beer and distilling liquor since 1988.  I reeeeeeeeally want to get myself a bottle of their whiskey.  One of our local beer stores just started carrying it.  When I get a bottle, you will know about it.

This Rogue brew is one of many within their extensive line-up.  I think you'd be hard pressed to walk into a beer store and only find one variety of Rogue beer.  Santa's Private Reserve is also one of many Rogue beers to have won an award.  Multiple awards, actually.  It has won the 2011 and 2009 Gold medal at the World Beer Championships as well as a 2010 Silver medal at the same competition.  Three years in a row in the top three is pretty dang impressive.  It certainly lends credence to Rogue's top-notch reputation.
Like that little seasonal flare I threw in there tonight?!

Santa's Private Reserve Ale is an American Red Ale style.  Not necessarily your typical winter spiced ale like we saw yesterday with Duns' review of Anchor's Christmas Ale.  I'm a fan of winter seasonal's simply for the fact that they can come in so many different styles.  Whether it be a stout, barley wine, double IPA, winter spice ale, it doesn't matter! As long as you feel cozy on the couch while drinking it, that's all that really matters.

The color is a hazy burnt amber.  A frothy tan foam sticks to the rim of my glass as it recedes, giving way to a full-on rush of Northwestern hops.  A very mild hint of caramel pokes through but is quickly subverted by Chinook, "Rogue Farm Revolution" and Freedom hops.  I have no idea what those Rogue hops are like, but my guess is that lupulin-packed monsters, just like Rogue likes 'em.  The flavors here are noticeably clean.  That Pacman yeast Rogue uses allows the hops and malt to take center stage, leaving virtually no residual yeast flavor.  A piney hop bitterness is at the forefront, supported by a thin, roasty caramel malt.  Mild carbonation and a muted alcohol bite finish Santa's special brew off nice and dry.

Overall - This was a very enjoyable brew.  Definitely not your standard winter seasonal.  No spice, gingerbread, nutmeg or otherwise.  Santa's Private Reserve Ale is simply a well brewed American Red Ale.  One that Santa should be proud of.  Full of piney hops and malty malts.  My only gripe is that I'd like a bit more body to support the bold hop bitterness.  But that won't keep me from picking up another bomber of this tastiness.

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea Rogue distilled as well. Definitely going to need to pick up a bottle of that as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do indeed! They have gin, vodka, whiskey, rum... pretty much any liquor you can think of, they distill. The Four Firkins has all of them available. I'll be buying myself a bottle of their whiskey since they use the barrels to make some of their beer as well!

    ReplyDelete