Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Great Lakes - Blackout Stout

Tonight I'll be drinking Blackout Stout from Great Lakes Brewing in Cleveland, Ohio.  From the neck label - "Our robust Blackout Stout is named after the infamous 'Blackout of 2003' that left the northeastern United States without power for days... A nuisance for some, an enjoyable 36 hours of energy conservation and beer drinking with neighbors for others".  I don't know about you, but I don't need the power to be out in order to enjoy 36 hours of drinking with my neighbors.  I'm pretty sure that's called "the weekend".

This stout isn't quite pitch black... but about as black as you can get without having the light surrounding the glass disappear into the beer!  The foam is lighter than anticipated, at least for an Imperial Stout.  It's a light tan color, similar to what you would find on a brown ale.  The aromas are soft.  Prominently roasty with some cocoa and coffee bean in there as well.  Plenty of toasted wood, roasted malt, black coffee and charcoal all seem to make an appearance in the first sip.  I don't think I've tasted a stout as roasty as this one.  The body is light and without much residual sugar.  Although a hint of sweetness comes through as it warms but is balanced by an alcohol warmth that has eluded my palate until now.  Blackberries come through in the finish at room temperature.

Overall - Blackout Stout is one of the few examples of an Imperial Stout that can be enjoyed straight off the bottling line.  Generally speaking, most RIS's could use a few months of age or longer before they are at their peak flavor.  Blackout doesn't need any extra time, it is fully tasty right away.  Great Lakes has done a great job with this brew, although I wish it came in a six pack!  Did I mention it has won five gold medals between the World Beer Cup and the World Beer Championships since 2003?

No comments:

Post a Comment