Friday, October 28, 2011

Summit - Black Ale

Tonight I'm drinking #8 in the Unchained Series of brews from Summit.  This brew is just hitting store shelves this week and has been on tap for only a few weeks prior to today.  I'm actually very happy to see that Summit is continuing the Unchained Series after all seven brewers were finished their individual creations.

Mike Lundell, the brewer for #8, also brewed the #3 India Style Rye Ale.  Unfortunately our blog wasn't in existence when this brew was released.  But I do remember drinking it and thinking that the rye was very prominent and the hops paired nicely with the spice.  Mike's Black Ale is another unique twist on the base Black IPA style.  Instead of cascade hops he uses New Zealand Pacific Jade and Australian Galaxy Hops.  I have no idea what these hops are going to taste like.  My guess is Fosters and kangaroos.

The appearance of Summit's first crack at a Black Ale is a good one.  The color is dark with red hues of light poking through.  A huge fluffy head almost flows over the side of my pint.  Those Aussie hops really shine through right away.  Very woody with some pepper and citrus mingled in there as well.  A nice roasty character is also noticeable.  The flavors are surprisingly complex.  The hops provide a peppery bite that blends nicely with the roasted malt.  Citrus and heavily caramelized malt (or is it dark fruit?) is present as well.  There seems to be a constant tug-o-war between the hop and malt flavors here.  I'm having a hard time discerning the two!  A medium body with mild carbonation and dry finish round out this very interesting brew.

Overall - I was very surprised with Summit's Black Ale.  I know I keep mentioning those Australian hops but they are a huge player here.  They bring a very unique flavor profile to this Black IPA style that you won't find in any other beer that I've recently come across.  The roast and hops are balanced to perfection.  Unchained #8 is a great and kinda fun brew to drink and dissect.  Grab some when you can.  I can't imagine this one will be available for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment