Monday, October 10, 2011

Samuel Smiths - Nut Brown Ale

Anyone watching the Lions vs Bears game?  Wait, let me rephrase that.  Anyone fall asleep during the first quarter of the Lions vs Bears game?  What in the hell kind of football was that?!?  Look, I get it Lions, you are all giddy about being 4-0 for the first time since magma flowed over 90% of the Earth.  Whoopdy-friggen-do.  Get your crap together and learn to stay ON SIDES!  I stopped watching after the first quarter.  I'll catch the highlights on ESPN tomorrow.

Tonight I'm reviewing Samuel Smith's Tasty Nutty Brown Stuff.  It's not the official name, but that's what I like to call it.  This Nut Brown is one of the first craft brews I remember tasting a number of years ago.  It was an eye-opening experience to say the least.  Who knew beer could be this tasty?!  This beer set off a domino effect and I was hooked to the craft beer scene ever since.

Samuel Smiths Nut Brown looks exactly as you would expect - brown and clear with a frothy tan foam.  The aromas are full of sweet toffee, hazelnut, toasted bread and just a hint of roast.  My first sip was a bit underwhelming, actually.  I was too impatient to let it sit and warm up and ended up tasting a highly carbonated, tin flavored ale.  But that was not a fault of the beer, just a fault of my own.  After letting it sit for about 5 minutes the carbonation settled and allowed for those tasty and nutty flavors to shine through.  More toasted bread and nuttiness are supported by a medium bodied malty base.  Hints of hop bitterness balance out any excess sweetness in the finish.

Overall - Still as tasty as the first time I had it.  Sam Smiths crafts very basic recipes and manages to add a ton of flavor to every beer they make.  I haven't come across a beer I wouldn't drink from these guys.  If you need a go-to brown ale, look no further than Samuel Smiths Nut Brown.  It's tasty, full of flavor and you can say that you are drinking an imported beer from England.  Be sure to stick your nose in the air and close your eyes when you mention the England part, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment