Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Alaskan Brewing - Winter Ale

Tonight I am reviewing another new brew to Minnesota, Alaskan Winter Ale.  I also learned that today is Alaskan Day!  This annual festival commemorates the Purchase Transfer of Russian claim of Alaska to the United States of America at Sitka on October 18, 1867, and celebrates the diversity of cultures and historical perspectives of the Alaskan people.  I bet they have some pretty tasty beer at this festival.  Check out the site if you are interested in the history of the event.
If I had to guess, I would guess the bald eagle on this
label is trained by Alaskan Brewery to harvest spruce
tips for this beer.  Just a hunch.

Ever since Alaskan Brewing started distributing to MN in May, Duns and I have been all over their brew.  We have reviewed almost everything they have thrown our way.  Their Amber is one of the best alts on the market.  The Kolsch, refreshing and tasty.  The IPA made Duns happier with each sip!  Our expectations were high with Perseverance Ale and it fell just a bit short, but not bad.  And I have a bottle of White in my fridge, screaming to be reviewed.  Soon, little one, very soon.

This winter warmer is a light pale orange with a nice frothy head.  The nose is a bit fruity with sweet malt and earthy hops and spruce.  Although, the spruce isn't as prominent as I had anticipated.  No matter, the flavors await! A fuller malt body than anticipated greets my palate and brings forth a subtle mixture of toasted bread, caramel and a slight hop bite.  The spruce comes through ever so slightly on the heels of the hops.  Complex but not over done.  Some alcohol warmth sneaks in and drys out the finish.

Overall - Before I opened the bottle, I had hoped for a lot of spruce flavors since I have never enjoyed a beer brewed with spruce tips.  But after finishing this bottle, I'm very happy that the spruce was a subtle accent to an otherwise tasty winter warmer.  I generally stray away from the winter warmer ales since most are over spiced or too alcoholic for their own good.  Alaskan's iteration makes me rethink my bias.  Next time I'm looking for a winter warmer, this is the six pack that I'll go to first.  Happy Alaska Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment