Friday, May 27, 2011

North Coast - Old Stock Ale 2010

Tonights brew is one I've been saving in my 50 degree chilled beer fridge for a while.  I bought this four pack at least six months ago, if not longer.  I distinctly remember being very excited about this ale since its brewed by the same guys that make one of my favorite Russian Imperial Stouts, Old Rasputin, which Dunz reviewed last year.  And honestly, outside of North Coast's RIS, I wasnt sure what else they brewed.  So getting my hands on another big beer from these guys makes me a happy beer drinker.

I remember after I got this home and in my fridge I opened one up a few hours later after it had some time to chill.  The flavors that I tasted then were hot.  Hot as in hot, cheap vodka alcohol hot.  Not good.  Bad... it made me sad.  But at 11.7% ABV I wasnt entirely surprised.  Old ales are brews that need some age on them before their flavor profile really starts to shine.  I am saving the other two from my initial purchase for later this winter after they have a year of mellowing behind them.  I dont think North Coast ages these at all at the brewery so as far as Im concerned these beers require some aging before enjoyment can commence.

Color is crystal clear and a deep amber.  No head at all.  Aromas are very malt forward with a sweet toasted bread and caramelized fruit, marmalade and brown sugar.  Alcohol sneaks its way in at the end.  Very viscous with medium carbonation.  The flavor profile is full and not hot!  Caramel bread with raisins, plums, hints of orange and brown sugar sweetness lead the charge.  Butterscotch and toffee are intertwined within this sweet but not cloying flavor profile.  Alcohol still plays a prominent role but its much more subdued than six months ago.  It helps to dry out and support the flavors as opposed to taking over the entire scene.

Overall - Far and away better than what it was six months ago and will be twice as good in another six months than what it is today.  As I said before, some age and patience will do wonders to old ales.  North Coasts website recommends it!  Grab the 2010 if you can find it.  But this is an annual, seasonal offer from NC so grab the 2011 and wait until well into 2012 to enjoy it.  You wont be disappointed with the result if you can wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment