Thursday, May 5, 2011

Lakefront - IBA (India-Style Black Ale)

Tonight I'm going to be drinking a Black IPA from Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee, WI.  Steve and I actually toured this brewery on a trip to Milwaukee last fall - it was a great tour but sadly I don't have any pictures from the event.  We had the opportunity to try a bunch of their brews, although I don't remember this beer being an option at that point.  They had a big red ale that was probably my favorite of the tour, called Fixed Gear American Red Ale.  This 'IBA' is a part of Lakefront's Pure Milwaukee Genius Series, of which Fixed Gear is also a part.  I'm a huge fan of this style, so looking forward tasting Lakefront's rendition...

I'm pouring this brew into my snifter, it's a dark brownish black, almost looks like Dr Pepper.  The head is monstrous, with a light tan color.  Beautiful looking beer.  The aroma is of faint, sweet roasty malts, and some light citrus zest behind it.  The smell is far more mellow than the Black IPA I drank last week from Stone....that beer smelled like a hop-bomb, and tasted like a hop-nuke.  The nose on this beer indicates it will be more roast and less hop.

The taste confirms my theory.  Dark chocolate grains are the first to show up.  Then comes a wave of mild hop bitterness, a combination of lemon zest and pine, very nice hop profile that isn't overly bitter, but does work nicely with the roasted malt base.  The citrusy zest lingers for a long time after the drink.  The body is medium-heavy, and the carbonation is on the heavier side, but the mouthfeel leaves a smooth/creamy impression.  There is also a musky quality to the beer, almost like wet soil, although when I describe it that way it sounds gross....it's actually a nice quality that adds to the complexity of the beer.

Overall Rating:  This was a nice brew.  Great drinkability, goes down very smooth, and it has something for everyone.  The hop profile will keep the hopinistas interested, but the roasty malt backbone will attract the stout-lovers.  If you like Black IPAs, add this one to your list.

No comments:

Post a Comment