Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Brew Dog - Punk IPA

I've had tonights bottle lurking in my fridge for about a month now.  I don't know why its taken me this long to get around to tasting it.  The brew is one that I've wanted to try for a while but I guess I just haven't been in the mood for an IPA.  Well tonights the night.  Lets give this Punk a shot.

Brew Dog Brewing is located in Scotland.  They have made a name for themselves by brewing absolutely ridiculous beers.  One example being their Tactical Nuclear Penguin which comes in at a crazy high 32% ABV.  If I recall properly, when this beer was released it was close to getting banned across the UK due to worries that patrons wouldn't understand that a beer could contain that much alcohol.  I wont be reviewing anything that crazy tonight.  In fact, I'm most likely drinking their most tame beer within their line up, the Punk IPA.

Slightly hazy, pale-straw colored.  A frothy white foam billows and maintains its form without dissipating.  Pretty impressive foam retention!  The aroma is nice.  Full of citrus, lemon rind and some fresh grass.  Flavor-wise, not nearly as impressive.  Mostly hops, thin body, no malt backbone and an astringent bitter finish.  I had a tough time going back for another sip.  After I stared at it for a while and debated dumping it to the sink gods I had another drink.  Luckily after some warmth my opinion of this IPA increased.  The bitterness dropped out a bit and the maltiness was more present to balance the remainder of the hops.

Overall - I was disappointed.  First impressions weigh heavily on me and this IPA gave me a poor one.  In a space thats highly competitive in the beer market its tough to shine above the others.  If I were Brew Dog, I would leave the IPA style to us Americans.  We know how to make 'em right!  Try a bottle if you are curious.  Otherwise, dont be sad when you pass this one up in the beer aisle.

3 comments:

  1. You're right, they have quite a reputation over here. I wish it was for the beer rather than the hype. I'm not impressed with it either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered what people thought of them over in your area of the world. They seem like an annoyance more than anything. Although I did hear they started to produce this beer in cans and they revamped the recipe a bit. So if I see the cans state side I may give it another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. didn't you taste the lichee aroma? It is the greatest part for me while having it.

    ReplyDelete