Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Samuel Smiths - Winter Welcome Ale

Well its another bitter cold week here in MN.  Projections are for sub zero temperatures through Friday and not warming up until the weekend.  This makes me not want to go outside and has also prompted me to make a fire in the fireplace almost every evening I've been home.  It makes for a nice and cozy atmosphere while I review a brew that brings the ambiance of my living room all together.

Samuel Smiths Winter Welcome Ale is one from their line up that I have never tried out before.  Every other beer I've tasted from Sam Smiths has been outstanding.  Their Imperial Stout and Nut Brown Ale are brews that I can drink all day long without hesitation.  I am looking for the same desirability out of this winter specialty.


The pour is a nice, clear golden amber color.  A frothy foam forms and quickly recedes into a simple lacing along the edges.  The aroma is very English.  Toasted malt, slightly spiced, and a little herbal from the European hops.  Incase you didn't know Samuel Smiths is a classic English brewery in Yorkshire, England.  All of their beers are full of flavor but not overly done.  This is certainly falling into that category.  The taste is very crisp and malty with a slight butterscotch or toasted caramel flavor coming through.  The hops are faded into the background with a nice bitterness blended together with a dry finish.  There are also some slightly citrus undertones that I started to pick out as it warmed.

Overall 5.1/6.0 - This is a very nice beer.  My expectations were certainly met.  All of the flavors are easily found throughout this brew and nothing took over to the point where it was the only flavor I was tasting.  Its a good sign of a well crafted, English beer.  Samuel Smiths knocked this one out of the park again and is something I would go back to again next winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment