Thursday, February 17, 2011

Tyranena Three Beaches Honey Blonde

Tonight's beer of choice is going to be the Three Beaches Honey Blonde Ale from Tyranena Brewing.  According to their website, this is a "Wisconsin version of the American Blonde Ale."  This beer is designed to taste like a day at the beach, light, bleached blonde, effervescent, free from bitterness.  I'm not sure I agree with this analogy......a day at the beach typically results in sand in my eyes/nose/ears, a sunburn, cut feet, and sticky oily sunscreen all over my body that didn't do it's job.  Hopefully this beer takes on Tyrnena's perspective of the beach!

This beer comes in a 12oz bottle with a label that depicts three beaches, er, women, in old style swimsuits.  It also notes that the beer is brewed with honey.  Pouring this into my ale glass, this beer pours a clear, bubbly straw-gold color with about an inch of white head.  The nose is full of adjuncts - corn meal and old wheat, fairly skunky.  There is a bit of honey sweetness and lemongrass that barely sneaks through.  The first sip brings a lot of corn and light malts.  If you search for it, you can find some honey in there, and just a hint of that lemon that was in the nose.  The body is light and the carbonation is very high.

Overall Rating:  (2.6 out of 6.0)  While this beer was light and drinkable, I was pretty disappointed with it.  It didn't have a whole lot of flavor, and there were a lot of off-flavors that reminded me of... Natty Light.  Tyranena missed the mark on this one, it's probably not something that I will pick up again.  

*Side Note*  During a recent vacation, I was flipping through the always-entertaining Sky Mall magazine, and came across this little gem.  A Garden Zombie!  Had to take a picture......
$89.95?  A steal if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment