Monday, February 28, 2011

Victory - Old Horizontal Barleywine

This Victory Barleywine has been sitting in my fridge, smiling up at me for over a week now.  This is an 11% booze-bomb, so I'll be sipping this slowly on this cold MN monday evening.
The label shows a sleeping, horizontal moon wedge over a small cabin - there is a little description on the side of the label that helps explain it a little better (see picture below).  This beer pours a thick, viscous, hazy brown with some red hues against the light.  It leaves a thick two inch tan head after a relatively light pour.  The aroma throws waves of sweetness at me - sweet caramel, butter, candied dark fruits, and alcohol.

The flavor brings a heavy dose of sweet malts that hit with a blast.  It transitions smoothly into buttered bread and caramel candy, and at the same time a hop bitterness appears but only as a side-thought.  The finish is WARM with alcohol - very boozy but it doesn't hurt - it's complimentary and helps anchor the sweetness that dominates.  The dark fruits that appeared in the nose are also present in the finish, but not too pronounced.  This is a bottle-conditioned ale, and they nailed it - perfect amount of carbonation.  The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy, but the finish is pleasantly dry.

Overall Rating:  (4.6 out of 6.0)  Overall this was a nice barleywine.  At 11% and loaded with sweetness, it needs to be enjoyed slowly and I wouldn't recommend driving a motorized vehicle... post-Old Horizontal.  Pick this one up, and I recommend cellaring for a year or two - it will probably age well.

3 comments:

  1. I... love... barley wines!!! Give it to me now!!! Sounds delish. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had an Old Horizontal that has been aged a year or two. I always thought that fresh it was good, but nothing special. Maybe aging will allow it to smooth out. (I love year old barleywines, but for some reason, never had OH)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, it's a nice barleywine, certainly not the top of the foodchain for the style and much sweeter/less hoppy than I expected. I haven't aged one myself, but I'm thinking a year in the cellar may help tone down the booze a bit. It'd be an interesting experiment.

    ReplyDelete