Thursday, January 13, 2011

G. Schneider & Sohn - Aventinus Wheat Doppelbock

Today I am drinking Schneider Aventinus.  I haven't had a doppelbock in quite some time so I was excited to pick this one up.  It was recommended to me by a guy who was filling up a full sized shopping cart with bombers of European, Asian, Australian and American craft beers.  I figured he was either somebody who knew a lot about international and domestic craft beer or was some rich dude who was on a hell-bent mission to show off his beer fridge to his friends.  In either case, I figured I'd take the chance and see what he liked.  This was the first bottle he pointed to so I went with it.

After doing a bit of research on BeerAdvocate and Rate Beer I realized that I had a solid bottle of brew on my hands.  I went to go check out their website but it is full of German words which my brain could not process.  I therefore relied on the internets to tell me more information about this beer (incase you werent aware, the internets never lie).  All I could really find were tasting notes and people saying how good this brew is.  And since Im tired I am going to say thats good enough... Lets drink!

This pours a crystal clear, deep amber.  Strong carbonation provides a nice, lingering head.  The aroma is full of caramelized fruit, yeast, wheat and malt.  Very refreshing.  Bananas and other tropical fruits are apparent.  Upon my first sip I immediately sense how smooth this brew is.  Caramel malt and roasted fruits make a nice appearance.  There is an almost spiced rum character that brings this beer together.  The yeast is what makes this beer.  You can find plenty of yeast settled in the bottom of this bottle reiterating the bottle fermentation.  The 8.2% ABV is present in the finish along with any hops added as well.

Overall 5.5/6.0 - I loved this beer.  The aroma is a nice blend of fruits and malt which does a good job backing up the overall flavor profile.  The wife was reminded of bananas foster and I agree.  The spices thrown off from the yeast can easily be confused for a spiced rum which you will find in said desert.  The beer is smooth, carbonation supports the body perfectly.  I think you would be hard pressed to find another beer in this category that would beat this.  Definitely give this doppelbock a shot.



No comments:

Post a Comment