Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Samuel Adams - Winter Lager

Tonight's review is my brother Kenny's second guest review on our site!  His first review was of Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter; a favorite of many beer drinkers in the Midwest.  Since then, Kenny has ventured out of his way to try new beers and expand his craft beer knowledge and expertise.  Tonight, he reviews one of his winter favorites - Sam Adams Winter Lager.  Enjoy!

***

Seasons’ greetings TWOBC!

I’m honored to have been invited back for an encore post, especially due to the fact that I’m relaxing here after work enjoying one of my all-time favorite brews.

Call me crazy, but I love the winter. During every snow of the season I’m overcome by a feeling of joyous nostalgia while memories of sledding and snow-fort building in zero-visibility resurface. As I grew older, I found many more hidden gems of the season; paid company holidays, an excuse to own a truck, women in fur… to name a few. However, at the ripe age of 24, the distribution of seasonal lagers and ales hold strong as my #1 favorite thing about winter (tied with women in fur ;-)).

A beautiful pour of a Samuel Adams Winter Lager. Mmmmm, Winter…



Jim Koch is often credited with pioneering the craft beer movement. I find this belief hard to argue with because his Winter Lager did just that for my personal craft beer movement. Before this beer, my liquor store runs consisted of thirty-cent cans of whatever-gets-me-buzzed and the occasional bottle of Ron Diaz. Embarrassing, I know, please continue to read my post.

Coincidently, it was my brother Steve (you may have heard of him) who noticed my novice selections and introduced me to my first flavorful beer, Sam Adams Winter Lager. From that day on I’ve had the privilege of experiencing how much the occasional craft beer can add to one’s quality of life.

Upon taking my first sip, the room instantly warmed 10 degrees and Santa’s sleigh streaked across the sky. This beer screams winter. A subtle sweetness, a hint of cinnamon, and a rich texture are all included in this premium lager. It finishes with a tiny bite and an enjoyable lingering of every individual flavor on the palate.

That being said, I’m obviously a little bias towards this beer. Therefore, if this has interested you in the slightest, I strongly recommend you give it a try! It’s a brew that can be enjoyed by anybody, not limited to micro-brew fiends like ourselves. Lucky for you, due to the size of the Samuel Adams brewery this beer is widely available. You shouldn’t have a problem picking up a 6-pack at your local beer store, keeping in mind this is a seasonal brew.

Until next time,

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment