Thursday, February 24, 2011

Goose Island - Pepe Nero

Tonights review is of a brand new beer developed by Goose Island called Pepe Nore.  It was brought to my attention as soon as I walked into Lees store.  I'm always up for trying something new and Goose Island generally makes some pretty tasty beers.  Especially their beers outside of their normal, year round line-up.  I absolutely loved their 2008 Bourbon County Stout after I had aged it for a few years.  So tasty!  Pepe Nore is a dark farmhouse ale brewed with peppercorn.  That is an ingredient I have yet to have the pleasure of tasting in a beer so Im looking forward to seeing how its integrated.

This "Black Saison style" pours a deep mahogany brown with a thin tan head.  The aroma is somewhat reminiscent of band aid adhesive.  Wafting the aromas further brings in notes of the saison/farmhouse style.  I think some dark fruits are trying to battle with the saison aromas and its not quite working for me.  It may also be some of the peppercorn coming through as well.  Overall a muted aroma not worth getting too fussy over.  On to the tasting!  Highly carbonated yet smooth texture.  The peppercorns come through prominently towards the end.  The initial flavors of light fruits, apple and pear come to mind.  Those fade quickly into a mildly sweet chocolaty spice.  It definitely reminds me of a peppercorn burger minus the burger.  The finish is dry and the peppercorn lingers after I swallow.  Little to no alcoholic presence.

Overall 4.3/6.0 - I dont think Im a big fan of the Black Sasion category just yet.  Maybe its the peppercorns but I dont find myself looking forward to each consecutive sip.  Its a well brewed beer.  I couldnt find any flaws.  Maybe the balance was a little undone.  I would have liked more characteristics from the saison style than was presented.  Certainly a unique brew and enjoyable if you like peppercorns.  If not, this may not be for you.


Bottled 1/7/11 - Batch 1158

No comments:

Post a Comment